Integrated Components of Care
All childbearing women and infants receive the following care to first prevent and then manage complications if they arise.
- Education, Information and Health Promotion
- Assessment, Screening, Care planning
- Promotion of normal processes, prevention of complications
Only a small percentage require additional care if complications arise.
- 1st line management of complications
Medical obstetric neonatal services
- Available, accessible, good-quality services – adequate resources, competent workforce
- Continuity – services integrated across community and facilities
- Respect communication, community knowledge and understanding
- Care tailored to women’s circumstances and needs
- Optimizing biological, psychological, social, and cultural processes; strengthening women’s capabilities
- Expectant management, using interventions only when needed
- Practitioners who combine clinical knowledge and skills with interpersonal and cultural competence
- Division of roles and responsibilities based on need, competencies and resources